- Forward Looking - Defining policy outcomes and taking a long term view
- Outward Looking - Taking account of the national, European and international situation; learning from the experience of other countries; recognising regional variations.
- Innovative, Flexible & Creative - Questioning established ways of dealing with things, encouraging new and creative ideas, identifying and managing risk.
- Evidence Based - Basing policy decisions and advice upon the best available evidence from a wide range of sources; ensuring that evidence is available in an accessible and meaningful form.
- Inclusive - Consulting those responsible for implementation and those affected by the policy; carrying out an impact assessment
- Joined Up - Looking beyond institutional boundaries; setting cross-cutting objectives; defining and communicating joint working arrangements across departments; ensuring that implementation is part of the policy process.
- Review - Systematic evaluation of the effectiveness of policy is built into the policy making process.
- Evaluation - Existing/established policy is constantly reviewed to ensure it is really dealing with problems it was designed to solve.
- Learns Lessons - Learning from experience of what works and what does not.
We should expect no less from South Kingstown's councilors. Unfortunately, we have no evidence that this is in fact the case.